Saturday 14 March 2015

A stroll through the labyrinth at twilight...







I'm meandering down the inspirational path this Satur(n)day, with a sort of (non exhaustive!) selection of personal favourites of the "visuals of other artist's"-type-catalogue (as I opened back here in dni Polskie). Some ambiguously tender treasures and wistful wonders.



Back in the winter of 2013, either side of December 10th to be exact, I was in London for a few blissful (truly full! Of the chest-fit-to-burst-ing variety) days. On one of the days, the last, before hopping the Megabus home, where the winter light was perfect, I wandered through Tate Britain (on my way to Victoria coach station). Thanks to the misty filter shrouding the whole day, tinting the mind with suggestive shades and imbuing imagination with light's fertile hues, I was more than receptive to some of the ethereally beautiful quadrangles of paint and pigment therein. So much so that I took down some of the names and details, that I might re-visit from the comfort of my own home and bed, as I do now. 
That's part of what memories are for. 



The bed-bound-back-tracking.



Here are some photographs of my own, followed by what I saw that day at TB, then, some lust-fuelled-leaps to images that stir mind and body. Looking at this selected output of these artists is really reminding me to try to capture more of what I so keenly see, let bleeding ink and viscerally satisfying paint shadily shape and tentatively transcribe the things that call to me incomprehensibly, what I'm drawn to without quite understanding why... 











Artist
Atkinson Grimshaw (18361893)
Title
Liverpool Quay by Moonlight
Date
1887
Medium
Oil paint on canvas
Dimensions
support: 610 x 914 mm





Artist
Title
Nocturne: Blue and Silver - Chelsea
Date
1871
Medium
Oil paint on wood
Dimensions
support: 502 x 608 mm frame: 685 x 825 x 45 mm




Artist
Arthur Melville (18551904)
Title
The Blue Night, Venice
Date
1897
Medium
Watercolour and gouache on board
Dimensions

support: 864 x 610 mm




Artist
Augustus Leopold Egg (18161863)
Title
Past and Present, No. 3
Date
1858
Medium
Oil paint on canvas
Dimensions
support: 635 x 762 mm frame: 781 x 925 x 90 mm




Artist
Augustus Leopold Egg (18161863)
Title
Past and Present, No. 2
Date
1858
Medium
Oil paint on canvas
Dimensions
support: 635 x 762 mm frame: 802 x 926 x 90 mm

































































"Paintings illustrate moments in transition between conscious thoughts or experiences. I want my paintings to depict dream landscapes, like a sort of floating imprecise past" - Hope Atherton

"My best works are erotic displays of mental confusions (with intrusions of irrelevant information)" -Marlene Dumas

"Often I am trying to create a 'numbness'. I am trying to create something that is questionable, something difficult, if not impossible, to put into words" - Peter Doig



Americana (Don Delillo)
P167 
"I didn't want to talk about it. I feared silence less than the involvement of words. Distance, silence, darkness. In the vastness of these things I hoped to evade all need to understand and to cancel all possibility of explaining.

P.176
Then I closed my eyes and thought of sleep. Emptiness is fullness. Become the book. Become the bamboo. The darkness ran a shallow green. Then it was black, welcoming as deep space, and I sighed audibly and advanced into a fresh galaxy.

If the great teachers and enlightened ones of history cannot find a common interpretation, how will you ever know what to believe you poor white gullible bastards."


The Dharma bums (Jack Kerouac)
p11
" 'it's all the same thing,' I heard my voice say in the void that's highly embraceable during sleep"
p23


"It's only through form that we can realize emptiness".


My most recent attempt.





No comments:

Post a Comment