Saturday, 25 February 2012

25th February - c)


Taking Photos of Things, Through Things.


Along the theme of looking back at #2 related photographs today, and, to unfortunately quash the originality of a another's recent blog entry, I found these. 
This is not to say that taking photographs through a doubled or tripled (or other bigger numberings I don't know the words for, bigger than 8 at least...) lenses is original to me, of course it isn't, as long as there has been a lens, there has been another of sorts to overlay it (apart from the first ever lens, ever).

During University, and since, the issue, not of my own original ideas, but those ideas of others, glaringly similar, which have succeeded both my own, and those of #2, has arisen a few times...

It is of great annoyance when someone, irrespective of intent, takes an idea close to your heart and mind, and presents it (usually inconsiderately, clumsily,  much to your chagrin) as their own. What seems crazy to #2 and I, is that these sudden and inconsistent leaps in the practice of others is received without question from the friends and tutors of said people. 
More than anything it speaks of how little people seem interested in the making-motives of other makers, maybe. 
Some people do see the enterprise of Art bathed in a religious light, but, more often than not, finished ideas for projects or pieces come from somewhere, the very root of the inspiration itself may seem mystical and intangible, but by looking at the connected channels and pathways, very real, describable forces, inextricably linked to inspiration can be pinpointed.

Explained in some earnest, if slightly vague way.

We're not all David Lynch with our revelatory nocturnal dreams. True some of us get passing flashes of possible fruitful subject matter, but usually they are just that, passing flashes.
The real, steadfast, 'life's work' kind of interests rarely strike us this way.
In my experience at least, the base hunger is already there, before the flash of how to communicate its' nature occurs.




Phew, after that somewhat serious and potentially hazardous venture into several tenuous metaphors, it feels slightly amusing to note that in this particular instance (taking photographs through the lenses/viewfinders of separate objects/cameras), there is no deep meaning behind the images.
Simply, when I acquire a new camera, children's optical illusion toy, or, indeed, savory biscuit, it's exciting to me to see how things appear, differ, distort...

(And in the case of the Hasselblad, where fear and inexperience meant I couldn't use it correctly, I used my phone to substitute an image from its' sight!)


 So here we go.

 I apologize for the quality of these images, they're an average of 3 years old, of low resolution, and some have been transferred and compressed numerous times.


1) Through a poppyseed cracker






2) Through a Ladybird optical toy






3) Through a magnifying glass







4) Through various analogue camera viewfinders


(King K; sprinty 35mm)

(Minolta 450 pocket, 110 film)

(Minolta X-300 SLR, 35mm)


(Hasselblad 500 SLR, medium format film)





(on the off chance that you've never met me and don't recognize my humor, I'm kinda taking the piss with the visuals section here, but the words before them I meant.)

Happy Birthday #2

THE END